Sunday 26 April 2009

What is the bandwidth limit for AT&T/SBC Elite DSL customer, if I were to host web site with Apache server?

ATT/SBC - Residential - Elite DSL package.





I've got apache set up on my computer and I want to host my own php/mysql web site.





How much usage before they slap on additional charges, bump me to a commericial account, or suspend my account?
What is the bandwidth limit for AT%26amp;T/SBC Elite DSL customer, if I were to host web site with Apache server?
with the 6.0Mbps down, you've probably got around 768kbps upload ... so, ideally, about 80kb/s file transfer. it's probably uncapped (no bandwidth limit), so you shouldn't have to worry about any extra charges, but it'll be aweful slow loading/downloading if you get more than 2 or 3 people connected, plus you won't be able to do much of anything online if someone's connected.





*Note: most home broadband companies use dynamic IP addresses ... they change your IP address every couple weeks, month, 2 months, whatever. so if you're using a redirect, you'll have to keep it updated.
What is the bandwidth limit for AT%26amp;T/SBC Elite DSL customer, if I were to host web site with Apache server?
The first problem you will encounter is that AT%26amp;T and other residential ISP's block port 80 incoming so you webserver will have to use another port outside of the 0-1024 range.


No comments:

Post a Comment