Monday 3 August 2009

Databases in my web host?

hi,


i,m new to data bases and i,m just a little confused,


i,m going to build a database for my site which is already online, using ms access, but whilst looking in my webhost, i noticed a facitly called my SQL database, does this mean that my webhost has already built a database that i can use, or do i still have to build my own in access, which i upload to the facilty SQL .


my data base will only be used for collecting clients details, and will also issue a password and user name allowing the client to enter my site, i,m just finding it confusing as to why my webhost has this facilty, or is it just the server that the database needs to work.





thanks to anyone who can answer this for me





Regards


G Morris
Databases in my web host?
Check with your web host.





Most basic web hosting plans only include support for MySql (the name of a database management system) and not MS Access.





In that case you have to change to a plan that supports MS Access or otherwise build your database using mySql.





I would supppose there might be software out there to convert from MS Access to MySql
Databases in my web host?
MySQL is unfortunatly a different technology to that which you require. You can interface a Access Database with MSSQL (Microsoft SQL) but this cannot be used on a Linux hosting package.





Your host would need to be providing you with a Windows based hosting package and a MSSQL server.
Reply:Some hosts allow you to have just ONE database, usually either MySQL or Access.





Access and MySQL are two completely different kinds of database systems, requiring different methods of manipulation.





Since you already have an Access database, why not just use it instead of MySQL?





Once you have learned how to work with one, the other will be relatively easy to learn in case you decide to change at some point.





It sounds to me like you are tackling an awfully ambitious project for someone new to databases. GOOD LUCK!


No comments:

Post a Comment